Porridge can be a great breakfast option and a good way to incorporate fruits, nuts and seeds which contain fibre and a range of nutrients. Eating a good amount of fibre can help reduce our risk of heart disease and some high fibre foods can aid in lowering our cholesterol such as oats.
- ½ cup of oats
- 1 cup of semi skimmed milk or non-dairy milk such as almond/soya
- ¼ tsp cinnamon powder-optional
- A handful of nuts and seeds- almonds/walnuts
- ¼ cup of low-fat natural yoghurt
- 1 apple sliced
- Handful of raspberries
- 1 fig roughly chopped
- 1 tsp of smooth peanut butter
- In a large pan simmer the oats with the milk and cinnamon and gently stir. If you prefer a thinner consistency add more milk. If you prefer a thicker consistency add less milk and more oats.
- Top your porridge with yoghurt, nuts, fresh fruit and a drizzle of nut butter.
Alternatively, you can soak the oats and milk overnight and top with fruit, yoghurt and nuts and seeds for your morning breakfast
Find more tasty meal options to try on our Recipes page