Carrot cake loaf – This is carrot cake but not as you know it. It’s infused with chai spice and sweetened naturally with bananas and dates for a deliciously nutritious bite. A great bake for any occasion.
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 medium sized ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup of wholemeal flour
- 1 large carrot grated
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup dairy free or non-dairy milk – almond milk has been used in this recipe
- 1/4 tsp chai spice-optional
- 1/4 tsp fennel and clove spice or mixed spice-optional
- 1/3rd cup of chopped mixed walnuts and dates
- 1 tbs of apple cider vinegar or normal vinegar
- Pre heat the oven 180 degrees Celsius, gas mark 4. Line a loaf tin with grease proof paper.
- In a large bowl add the flours, chai spice, baking powder and bicarbonate – soda and mix.
- In another bowl mash the bananas and carrots, add the oil, milk and vinegar – and combine.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and fold until combined. Add in the chopped dates and walnuts and mix.
- Pour the cake batter into the loaf tin and bake for 35 minutes until golden. Insert a skewer to check if cake is cooked. If it comes out clean the cake is ready.
- Top the cake with melted dark chocolate-optional or can leave as plain. This cake can be served with yoghurt or custard.