Vegetarian Enchiladas recipe
This is a great recipe that is quick and healthy. Perfect if you’re on the go and can also be eaten for lunch the next day. Sweet potato is used as a filling as it’s a starchy root vegetable packed with fibre and nutrients and black beans are a good source of protein.
1 pack of wholemeal tortillas
2 large sweet potatoes peeled and cut into cubes
2 tins of black beans rinsed and drained
½ tin of chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp harissa paste – optional
1 bunch of spring onions chopped
1 bunch of coriander chopped
1 tsp paprika
1 cup of baby tomatoes sliced into halves
¼ cup of grated cheddar cheese
½ cup of sour cream
1 lime cut into slices
1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- Pre heat oven gas mark 4, 180 degrees.
- In a frying pan heat the oil, add the spring onions and saute followed by the black beans. Add 1/2 tin of chopped tomatoes along with the harissa paste and paprika and season with salt and pepper. Give a good stir and allow to simmer until filling is thickened and sauce is absorbed.
- Meanwhile boil the sweet potatoes in a pan of boiling water until soft-about 15 minutes, drain the water and mash the sweet potatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- To make the sauce add the cut baby tomatoes into a heated pan with some oil, add 1tbsp harissa paste, some black pepper and a splash of water. Allow sauce to thicken, can add more chopped tomatoes if needed. Using a masher gently mash the tomatoes until flavour is released.
- Finally, take your wrap and place on a flat board, spread the sweet potato filling in the middle of the wrap, followed by the black bean filling in the middle and fold over the ends and wrap over to seal.
- Place the wraps length ways in a large rectangle oven proof dish. Pour over the fresh tomato sauce and top with grated cheese and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden.
- Garnish with coriander, sour cream and lime.
You can use other pulses such as chickpeas
Chicken or fish can be used as a filling option
To save time buy ready cut sweet potatoes
Don’t need to oven cook enchiladas, can eat them without the tomato sauce to save time
You can find lots of other quick and nutritious recipes on our Recipes page
There are also lots of great family recipes for all the family on the NHS Healthier Families page