This cake serves 6, a lovely cake recipe which incorporates hidden vegetables and is made with less sugar and saturated fat.
2 medium sized courgettes trimmed and grated with skin on
4-5 tbs olive oil
¾ plain cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ cup ground almonds
¼ cup light brown sugar
2 lemons zested and juiced
1 cup ricotta
2 cups of raspberries
- Pre heat oven to gas mark 5, 170 degrees fan, grease 2 small sandwich tins and line with baking paper.
- In a large bowl add the flour, almonds, baking powder and pinch of salt in a bowl and mix.
- In a separate bowl add the eggs, sugar, oil, lemon zest and juice and whisk until combined.
- Grate the courgettes and squeeze out excess water and tip into flour mixture and mix, add the wet ingredients and stir to make a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into 2 small baking tins and bake for 40-50 minutes until browned and check if cake is cooked by adding skewer into the middle of the cake to check if it comes out clean.
- Remove cake from tins and cool on a wired rack. Meanwhile whip the ricotta with a squeeze of honey.
- Finally spread the ricotta in-between the 2 cakes and on top of the cake. Top with fresh raspberries and sprinkle cake with desiccated coconut.
Add cocoa powder into cake batter for a chocolate version
Recipe by Gopika Papiah