Muffins don’t always have to be made with added sugar; in this recipe we have included beetroots and chickpeas with a pinch of salt. Instead of using cream or butter as spread, carrot hummus is used. Enjoy these muffins for breakfast, tea, or as a snack.
Vegan savoury beetroot muffins
Ingredients – makes 12
2 raw medium beetroots, peeled
6 tbs water from canned chick peas (aquafaba)
2 teacups of wholemeal flour
½ teacup oat flakes
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 ½ cups of soya yoghurt
3 tbs of finely chopped chives
Pinch of salt and pepper or to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200 C/gas mark 6. Grate the beetroot and set aside. Then whip the aquafaba (water from canned chick peas) using an electric beater until stiff peaks form.
- Using another bowl, mix flour, oat flakes, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt and pepper.
- In a blender, mix together the beetroot and yogurt, then add this to the flour mixture – also add whipped aquafaba and chives until all ingredients are combined.
- Line a muffin tray with muffin cases and fill muffin cases with mixture and bake in oven for 20-25 minutes until cooked. Insert a skewer into the middle of a muffin to check if cooked.
- Allow muffins to cool and serve with carrot hummus.
3 teacups grated carrots
1 lemon juice
1 x 200g can chickpeas
Salt and pepper to taste
Mix all the ingredients in a food processor and blend.
Gopika Papiah (nutritionist)
Farhanda Shah (dietitian)