This banana bread recipe is a clever way of meeting your 5 a day, it includes bananas and dried dates and no added sugar. It is versatile – have it for breakfast, as a snack, or for tea. You can have it with a variety of spreads including peanut butter/ low fat cream cheese, and garnish with passion fruit, raspberries or your choice of fruit.
4 large ripe bananas
½ cup finely chopped dates
4 heaped tbs of low fat Greek yogurt
2 teacups of self-raising flour
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tbs of rapeseed oil
¼ tsp cinnamon
½ cup choice of nuts
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees or gas mark 4.
- Next line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- In a bowl mash 3 bananas then add the eggs and whisk well. Fold in the yogurt , dates and nuts until combined.
- Sieve the flour, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon into the banana mixture. Add 2 tbs of rapeseed oil for dropping consistency (if the mixture is thick add a little water). Then pour into the lined loaf tin.
- Cut 1 banana in half lengthways and put on top of the loaf, with the cut side facing up.
- Bake for 30 mins, continue baking for further 20 – 30 mins until golden, and knife comes out clean when inserted in the middle of loaf.
Gopika Papiah (nutritionist)
Farhanda Shah (dietitian)